Sunday, July 26, 2009

Reese got this idea that he wanted to be a scientist one night, & wanted to do some experiments. He first asked for nails and a hammer so he could build something in his room, but I had to nix that idea...no nails and hammers in the bedrooms.

I offered a few ideas which he thought were all "lame"...

Until I remembered a post my friend Kim put up about her son Nicholas & his "science experiment". Luckily, it worked perfectly and he was happy to be working on something important!

A pie tin with just a little vegetable oil in the bottom,
Small cups of colored water,
and some pipettes....

Reese said the red water was "blood"....

The colored water droplets made circles in the oil...


Reese was content squirting and mixing for about a half hour! We found it worked just as well with a tiny layer of oil, and once there were too many droplets in the oil, I would pour it out and he would start over.
Thank you Kim for helping me come up with something that passed for a science experiment!!!

1 comment:

Savor The Days said...

Awesome. That made for some really cool pictures. We'll have to try this with oil!