Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Saxon Phonics...Working It's Magic



Choosing a kindergarten homeschool curriculum was a really stressful decision for me. I know, I know...it's just kindergarten! But I wanted to get started on the right foot, with something that would hold my hand and guide me this first year.

When I taught 1st grade, we used Saxon Phonics so I chose Saxon to begin our Kindergarten year because it was something I was comfortable with & a program I knew worked!


We're sixteen weeks into our Saxon work & I must say I'm happy with the progress Reese is making! He is blessed with the ability to blend words easily, and he is moving right along with reading. I have yet to throw something out to him that he hasn't figured out.
There's so many ways to make phonics a game! Like the picture above...Reese had wanted some M&Ms, so we made a game out of it. He put an M&M on each picture card, and then he read the word on the spelling card. When he found the match, he slapped it down & ate the M&M. So silly, but he was so thrilled!
And I'm glad we found his motivator....


GAMES!!! Math games are fun too :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cool. I love the idea. Jack loves games too. I just don't take the time to sit down and do them with him. I am going to try more starting this new year by golly. THanks for the blog, it is very encouraging!

Anonymous said...

Reese is so cute! Love the pics!